This is one of the many things that I’ve finished knitting recently. It’s the Clementine shawlette from the Spring 2007 issue of Interweave Knits (a.k.a. the issue of Interweave Knits that I seem to make almost everything out of).
I used one lovely skein of Handmaiden Sea Silk acquired in Kitchener with Erica, one of my heroes of yarn acquisition. My Clementine Shawlette is clearly not “clementine” in colour. It’s a lovely light blue – almost periwinkle colour. The variations in the colour turned out very nicely in the piece.
Since the pattern called for 3-50g skeins of Blue Sky Alpacas Alpaca Silk, I’m not entirely sure how I got away with 400 metres (1-100g skein) of Sea Silk. But, in the end, I had exactly the right amount of yarn (with maybe 2 metres remaining). The weight of the finished shawlette is definitely lighter and more delicate than the Interweave version.
I really don’t enjoy knitting lace. But, this pattern features a simple four-row pattern repeated for the entire straight section. It’s actually knit in two pieces and then Kitchener stitched together.
This was not a quick project for me. I think that I started it around October and got it together and blocked in March.
But, if you have one (or 10) skeins of Sea Silk around, this is a great pattern to try.